Design creates culture
Culture shapes values.
Values define the future.
Robert L. Peters
The general meaning of design concerns almost every scale of space, objects and images that surrounds us, touching our senses as well as every aspect of our everyday life.
Design, however, is not just what we see, but much more. It is a process, but also a result. It is the human ability to set goals and find ways to achieve them. Design, as an image, sense and contemporary expression, impacts on a multitude of activities of the society, of the content of a city and ultimately determines the quality of life and everyday life of its inhabitants.
Design enters into a number of areas: from large scale and architecture to design of the small object, from the promotion and branding of companies to the artistic work and its forms. It enters into all aspects of well-being, everything that surrounds us and we move in it, we carry it or we wear it, the new technologies and the information we receive or emit daily in the digital era.
Elli (Eleni) Chrysidou
Deputy Mayor of Culture and the Arts of the Municipality of Thessaloniki
OBJECTIVES & VISION
Thessaloniki Design Week can and has to constitute an institution for the city , so that it can give the chance of expression, reflection and synergies in all areas and aspects of creativity. Its establishment can also foster an area of opportunities and extroversion for the entrepreneurship of the city in many ways. Multiple benefits can be gained more widely in many areas, such as tourism and culture, from an event whose internationalization may generate high attendance.
Thessaloniki Design Week’s core objectives , through a series of events are:
- to highlight the significant potential of the city and country that deals with all aspects of design,
- to reinforce and introduce new models of process for the creation and design of products and services,
- to develop research, concerns, dynamics and quests for all applications where design is involved,
- to create opportunities and prospects for linking creativity to entrepreneurship, production process, the domestic and international market, and to give new alternatives to the creators considering the existing circumstances.
The vision of Thessaloniki Design Week is to operate on many levels as a participatory platform for a wide range of institutions, entities, entrepreneurs, individuals, scientists and teams acting in the creative industry, as an opportunity to develop research and innovation and to produce new suggestions and ideas, products and services, as a tool of expression, education and professional development, but also extroversion of the city and its potential, connecting it to the corresponding institutions, entities, organizations, foundations and events abroad.
Emphasis will be placed upon the development of collaborations with similar events and organizations/institutions, the presentation-professional promotion of products and services of Greek artists abroad, the promotion-export of Greek productions, events, exhibitions, the development of synergies for participation in Greek and European programs and, generally, the pursuit of any form of collaboration for the presentation and promotion of the Greek creativity.
Some of the main objectives are also:
- The establishment of an institution in the city, according to the standards of corresponding cities abroad, for the creation, support, funding and promotion of new enterprises in the entire spectrum of the creative industry.
- The inclusion of Thessaloniki in the UNESCO Creative Cities Network
- The preservation and exploitation of the industrial and productive heritage of the city and country in sectors where design have had a determining role
- The connection of the scientific and productive potential of the Greeks living abroad and those in Greece, with collaborations and shared projects.
Design is a manifestation of the capacity of the human spirit to transcend its limitations.
A designer is not an artist. An artist solves his problems through art, while a designer provides solutions to other people’s problems.
George Nelson, The problem of design
- Ioannidis Giotis, Architect, Director of NPΟ Philartia
- Fakinos Demetrios, Director of EBGE Awards (+Design)
- Chrysidou Elli, Deputy Mayor of Culture and the Arts of the Municipality of Thessaloniki
- Drakotis Konstantinos, Co-Founder and Director of Hellofrom Thessaloniki
- Babalis Athanasios, Product designer
- Tellios Anastasios, Associate Professor, School of Architecture, AUTh
- Visual Identity Design : Georgiou Thanasis
Web Design: BlackMilk
- Organisational Secretariat: Koliadi Artemis, Chatzimichali Christina
- Volunteers Managers: Kastanopoulou Fenia, Ioannidou Christina
- Kastanopoulou Fenia, Directorate of Culture and Tourism of Municipality of Thessaloniki
- Kountouris Panagiotis, Representative of Concert Hall Organisation
- Misirloglou Thouli, Art Historian, Representative of Metropolitan Organisation of Museums of Visual Arts of Thessaloniki (MOMus)
- Barakli Aggeliki , Project Manager of Hellenic Design Centre (HDC)
- Papaioannou Charalampos, Representative of General Secretariat for Youth (GSfY)
- Paka Alkmini, Associate Professor, Head of the School of Architecture AUTh
Savvidis Christos, Artistic Director of project LABattoir and Founding Director of ArtBOX.gr
- Syllopoulou Maria, Corporate Social Responsibility Manager, HELEXPO S.A
- Tsafaras Spyros, Archaeologist, representative of NPΟ Phillartia